Under the Skin
A campaign that calls attention to the beauty and vulnerability of the world’s most endangered animals.
Laura Ashby Events Manager, Natural History Museum
"The impact of their striking interactive artwork along with Ed & James’ enthusiasm helped museum visitors of all ages to engage with the threat of extinction to species across the planet."
- Since 1970 half of the planet's animals have gone extinct. One million plant and animal species are currently threatened with extinction.
- Compelled to take action with my brother, in 2015 we decided to bring our illustration and printmaking skills together to raise awareness and support the conservation movement.
- In our mission to create #PrintsThatProtect, we donate 20% to a charity protecting each species.
- We immersed ourselves in these complex issues. In 2018 we spent a week aboard a Sea Shepherd vessel to document their frontline work to protect the most endangered marine mammal on the planet.
- We developed a vibrant and compelling series of illustrated animals with a powerful underlying message.
- Using phosphorescent inks to reflect the concept of extinction, James screenprinted the animal skeleton on the final layer of each piece of artwork.
- We sent out UV torches with each limited edition print for customers to reveal the hidden animal anatomy.
- From the handprinted wrapping paper to the customer charity cards, we curated every design detail of the unpacking experience.
- Under the Skin was shortlisted for the 2019 World Illustration Awards.
- The collection has been exhibited globally, in institutions such as the the Natural History Museum.
- Our project has been shared by influencers and activists such as Leonardo Di Caprio.
- We have been invited to share our project at Wildscreen Festival and P&G on Earth Day.
- Since 2015 we have partnered with leaders in wildlife conservation such as Birdlife International, RSPB, Global Wildlife Conservation, Sea Shepherd and more.
Shining a light on extinction
The core idea revolves around the use of phosphorescent ink to visually communicate our concept. Under UV light the hidden skeleton is revealed, all that remains if a species falls into the darkness of extinction.
Prints That Protect
Under the Skin has partnered with some of the world's most influential charities. We donate 20% from every print sale to a specific campaign dedicated to protecting each species.
The details make the design
From the hand printed wrapping paper to the charity cards, framing guides to the hand embossed box, we curated every step of the sustainable packaging. The result is a memorable and meaningful customer experience.